Remote work as such is perhaps one of the most recognized forms of remote work. In this situation, the employee does not work at the company, but at another location. This can be a co-working space, a canteen, or the employee’s home.
Of course, it can happen that an employee has to visit the company offices on certain occasions, for certain meetings, or due to organizational form. Want to know what the best remote jobs are ? Take a look at this post and find out what they are!
But before we get to the advantages and disadvantages of working remotely, it should be pointed out that knowing the laws of remote work is necessary to know what your rights and responsibilities are as an employee in this mode. For example, if you are from Argentina or Chile here , we leave you with the most important points about what the local laws provide.
Benefits of working remotely
- Employees may discover this new way of working and find that telecommuting or working remotely is to their liking .
- A good dose of work flexibility makes employees feel more productive and improves their quality of life.
- The remote method prioritizes asynchronous data exchange of remote computers to increase their productivity. This avoids constant meetings that are unnecessary.
- Increases staff commitment.
Disadvantages of working remotely
- Distractions are an obstacle to remote working. To avoid this, it is important to develop soft skills such as time management and work life productivity. It is important to know what habits are necessary for successful remote work .
- Because of the need for certain meetings that require an employee’s physical presence, employees must reside in areas close to the company headquarters .
Virtual work is often confused with remote work. They may seem similar, but they are radically different. Virtual work is a type of remote work that does not require employees to visit a specific office at any time.
This type of remote work is usually characteristic of “digital nomads” because employees can work flexibly. Likewise, companies that typically implement this modality because they are organizations with 100% digital structure and internal processes.
Benefits of virtual work
- Saves time and money as there is no need to move to an office.
- More autonomy for dedication.
- Promotes concentration .
- Soul Perfect for those who are adventurous and want to combine the best of virtual work with getting new experiences around the world and balancing their personal lives.
Disadvantages of virtual work
- It’s important to have discipline .
- Can be caused by a Lesser “sense of belonging” by the company in which one works (of course, it all depends on how the organizational culture is promoted).
- Increased energy consumption and equipment maintenance ; This is a cost that is borne by the employee. However, this is relative, as there are companies that offer equipment and pay for the difference in energy consumption.
Distributed teamwork is characterized by the fact that absolutely all teams are distributed all over the world; in contrast to remote work, when employees of the company may be located in one country.
The benefits of distributed teamwork
- Increased productivity.
- Enrichment of cultural exchange .
Disadvantages of distributed teamwork
- Increased energy costs.
- Other soft skills needed to interact with peers.
- Additional distractions may arise.
However, all types of remote work place great emphasis on working for results, with the employee guaranteed the opportunity to work in this way as long as they complete the tasks and achieve the desired results
How to improve remote work?
Stop by the office from time to time . Even if you work from home full-time, face-to-face communication can be helpful. Try to attend important meetings.
Provide or borrow office equipment: it can be an ergonomic chair, desk and computer to create a safer working environment. With a little creativity, you can also use items around the house to improve the ergonomics of a temporary workspace.
Establish Responsibilities . You need to know when you are expected. Familiarize yourself with the company’s policy on telecommuting and stick to it. Set performance metrics so everyone knows what is expected of them.
Make sure you are available. If you have teams in your care, keep in touch with them and be available if they need permission. Setting goals is an effective way to manage a remote team .
Keep track of workflow . This can allow employers and employees to gauge productivity from home. Find out what the work relationship confidence indicators are for remote work .
Just like in the office, make a schedule and stick to it . Make a to-do list and mark the ones that were completed at the end of the day. Meet deadlines.
Stay in touch with the office . Develop a habit of communicating with your supervisor or co-workers. Keep your supervisor informed of progress and difficulties that arise.